Thursday 17 December 2015

THE PILLOWCASE EFFECT


This morning I woke up, and each time I do, something always comes to mind. I notice that the pillow is the first item on the bed that I am often drawn to, even before I get off the bed. Today, as I began tucking the pillow into the cotton case, I started thinking of what often happens to many dreamers and people with aspirations, today.       
How many times have you thought of a brilliant idea with such invigorating passion and excitement, then the next minute your attention is discombobulated by some unrelated activity. In so doing, you discover that your original idea get swept under the carpet by 'mister procrastination and misses I can't be bothered.' This is 'the Pillowcase Effect,' and we all suffer from it, including, myself.


Many a times, I come up with something brilliant, the next minute, I get distracted, and such distraction I discover weakens the intensity of the excitement one feels when the original thought dissipates. This is normal, but, should it be? Don't tuck your dreams, aspirations and ideas into the pillowcase, no matter what circumstances you are presented with.

The Reason for Falling Prey to the Pillowcase Effect

Now, I ask, why do people assume such regressive mentality when it pertains to pushing forward their own ideas? You many have your reasons, as we all do. But, dare I say that, you can do better than that." A place of comfort is a false state that will not only limit you, but, kill your ability to harness your mental prowess towards creative thinking."

Most of us are comfortable working for others and building their dreams, because, it brings us a sense of satisfaction and security. We often ask ourselves, where is the money to pay for housing, mortgage, phone bill, energy bill, feeding or what have you, going to come from, if I leave my current job and pursue my own venture? Where would I get the start-up capital from? I can go on. The truth of the matter is that, people with such rigid way of thinking will always keep complaining about their apparent  lack of fulfilment, financial freedom and happiness, because, they refuse to do the necessary, which I must confess, is not easy at all..  

Tucking your ideas into the pillowcase may seem convenient, but not without risk as you may think. Have you thought about what happens if you are suddenly made redundant at your place of work? Or become too ill to work? You are immediately at a lose, whilst your employer maintains his or her advantageous position. Now, think of it this way, if you had spent some quality time building your own business alongside your day job, if any of the above happens, you won't be vulnerable or fall into a state of dichotomy.

So, the choice is yours. Invest in your dreams no matter the complexities that may arise or simply tuck them into the pillowcase, never to be seen again. "A word they say is enough for the wise."


© Dr Dickson Aleroh.

No comments:

Post a Comment