Tuesday 22 December 2015

Damned If You Do, Fail If You Don't


Too many times, so many brilliant ideas would pop up to mind, and I think gosh!!! That's a fantastic one, I think I will invest more time to explore them further, and wait for the outcome. However, most times, I never get to it, and I ask myself, what if I did look more closely into those seemingly game-changing ideas whenever they come to mind, and take them a step further? You see, as humans, we are perpetually enslaved by the common fear of the 'unknown.' And until we take that risky leap of faith and dive into the deep end, we will never unveil what secrets lies beneath (that is, the UNKNOWN). 

As a young PhD student, I often device some pretty crazy ideas, which I use a subject in conversations with my colleagues. On a given day, I asked one of my colleagues a question, and it was to do with the air we breathe in. I said that I would love to own a company whose primary activity was to engage in the isolation and sale of fresh air in sealed bottles. To make the idea sound even more outlandish, I stated that I would also like to have a monopoly on the air we breathe in and seek for a global licence to do it. Immediately, he turned around with a hugely perplexing look on his face, and said, you are one crazy dude. I responded that it was feasible and not something that could be assigned to the pages of a fictional book. 

The truth of the matter is that, I truly believed in my idea, but, maybe not to the extent of owning a monopoly on our air intake. Today, I was astonished to discover that a company in Canada had just sold out on their caned air to the government of China, due to the unbearable level of pollution currently being experienced in the country. Then, it suddenly dawned on me that this company could have been mine, if only I had put my crazy idea into motion at the time. That way, I would have avoided any regrets in the end.

Is there something you would like to do in 2016? Perhaps, you have an idea that's just seating in your mind waiting to be explored? Today, I am encouraging you to go for it. Where you are today is as a result of either your actions or inactions of yesterday. Why leave what you can do today until tomorrow and allow 'Mr Procrastination,' to deprive you of the adventure and joy of discovering what is on the other side? You see, there's is no harm in trying. What do you have to lose? After all, you are damned if you do or fail if you don't. 

(c) Dr Dickson Aleroh




No comments:

Post a Comment